Recipe: Mama Jackie’s Southern Sweet Potato Pie
Tomorrow is the first day of fall and I couldn’t be more excited! Fall is my absolute favorite season because of the fashion, cooler temperatures, colorful leaves, and, of course, Thanksgiving! There are certain dishes that I don’t cook all year because they are reserved for my family’s traditional Thanksgiving dinner. One of those dishes is my mom’s sweet potato pie.
I can remember standing in the kitchen watching her prepare her signature pies every year, waiting for the moment when she would finally let me help. I was usually placed on prep duty, gathering the ingredients together, preheating the oven—you know, the small things until I was ready to take on the major tasks like adding ingredients and mixing.
Now that I’m older and I prepare all of the dishes for Thanksgiving dinner each year, I’m sure to never leave off Mama Jackie’s Southern Sweet Potato Pie. Before sharing this recipe, I asked her if she wouldn’t mind and she gave me the go-ahead to share with you guys.
So if you’re looking for the perfect dessert that says “hello, fall,” look no further!
|Prep Time||50 min|
|Cook Time||60 min|
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 2 9-inch frozen pie crusts
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- Boil sweet potatoes (whole in skin) for 40 to 50 minutes, or until tender. Transfer cooked potatoes to a colander and run cold water over them. Let them cool before removing the skin (Although my mom never does, she’s a pro.).
- Mash sweet potatoes in a bowl. Add butter, and mix well with mixer. (It’s best to add the butter while the sweet potatoes are still hot to make sure the butter completely melts.)
- Stir in sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth and free of clumps.
- Place a small slice of butter onto the unbaked pie crusts. Place crusts in an oven, preheated to 350°F to melt the butter. (This helps flavor the crust.) Remove the crusts from the oven and roll the melted butter around to evenly coat the crusts.
- Pour sweet potato filling into the unbaked pie crusts and bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract to the filling mix for a zest of flavor.